Fedora 8 Installation Guide
Revision as of 04:02, 11 November 2007 by Riaanvn
- Fedora 8 is included as a generatable package since version 8.42.3 of the AMD Proprietary Linux driver. "sh ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run --listpkg | grep -i fedora" shows "Fedora/F8" in the output.
- Unfortunately the driver kernel module currently fails to compile since Linux kernel version 2.6.23 is not yet supported. See this bugzilla report for kernel 2.6.23 for more information.
Installation from Livna repository
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm yum install -y kmod-fglrx
and restart X
Installation via ATI Installer
The above bugzilla contains a patch to the firegl module source code. Here is an annotated walk-through for those not familiar with using the patch utility:
- Install the driver interactively
- Backup the existing module, download the patch
cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/ cp firegl_public.c firegl_public.c.orig wget -qO- http://ati.cchtml.com/attachment.cgi?id=466 > firegl.patch
- Apply the patch
patch -p0 < firegl.patch
- Now build and install the kernel module
./make.sh cd .. ; ./make_install.sh
- Create an initial X Serve configuration file
- Restart your X Server (by logging in/out or rebooting)
- AMD/ATI Catalist Control Center fails to start, see this bugzilla entry.