Fedora 8 Installation Guide
- Fedora 8 is included as a generatable package since version 8.42.3 of the AMD Proprietary Linux driver. "sh ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run --listpkg | grep -i fedora" shows "Fedora/F8" in the output.
- Unfortunately the driver kernel module currently fails to compile since Linux kernel version 2.6.23 is not yet supported. See this bugzilla report for kernel 2.6.23 for more information.
Installation from Livna repository
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm yum install -y kmod-fglrx
and restart your system.
Installation via ATI Installer
The above bugzilla contains a patch to the firegl module source code. Here is an annotated walk-through for those not familiar with using the patch utility:
- Install the driver interactively
- Backup the existing module, download the patch
cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/ cp firegl_public.c firegl_public.c.orig wget -qO- http://ati.cchtml.com/attachment.cgi?id=466 > firegl.patch
- Apply the patch
patch -p0 < firegl.patch
- Now build and install the kernel module
./make.sh cd .. ; ./make_install.sh
- Create an initial X Server configuration file
- Restart your X Server (by logging in/out or rebooting)
- AMD/ATI Catalist Control Center fails to start, see this bugzilla entry.
FYI: this patch (and others like it) is incomplete. It fails miserably with the drm module loaded. It will not work without drm either, and what would be the point? As seen by dmesg:
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810 [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1898 MBytes. [fglrx] ASYNCIO init succeed! [fglrx:KCL_enable_pat] *ERROR* Pat entry 2 is already configured [fglrx] PAT is disabled! [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_stub_register failed
The livna rpm incurs the same failure. Stick with F7 and kernel 2.6.22, or use the radeon driver instead.