Fedora Core 5 Installation Guide
Revision as of 00:14, 3 November 2007 by Riaanvn
- Note: You must have your "kernel-devel-[version]" RPM package installed prior to fglrx installation.
- Note: The administrator of this wiki uses FC5 on a Radeon 9700 with the latest driver without any issues using the Official ATI Binary Installer.
Red Hat's developers comments on 3rd party installers.
- Enable the livna repository
- Install the drivers and kernel module
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm
yum install kmod-fglrx
- For ease of installation and updating, the package name of the driver has been changed
- As of today (2006-04-08) livna is still working out install bugs ( Bugtracker ) in the X86_64 package. It apperas they have fixed the problem, but have not yet finished testing. Some people report mixed success compiling from the source RPMS. YMMV.
- As of today (2006-06-14) tried several times to install the driver for ATI RADEON X700. It installed but not working. Still stuck at vesa. Those who are trying this method, be warned.
Official ATI Binary installer
Update your kernel, kernel-devel, and xorg packages to the very latest before installation.
- Download the latest release.
- su to root in init level 3 (No X server running)
- sh ati-driver-installer-[version].run
- Follow the prompts and it will install.
- Run the
aticonfig --initialcommand if you have not updated your X.org configuration file (xorg.conf).
- Change back to run level 5.
No longer supported as Fedora Core 5 is shipping with X.org version 7.0.