Suspend2 with fglrx 8.19
Suspend2 version 2.2-rc11 and the ati driver version 8.19.10 is the first combination which is supposed to work without any support tool like vbetool. Suspend2 is the next generation of software suspension tool that has more advanced configuration options and scripting possibilities which makes it more usable for hardwares that need workaround and work not with Suspend's original version.
Suspend1 is included in vanilla kernel, but Suspend2 is a patchset for specific kernel versions, and a package of hibernation script and scriplets (that do the suspend and resume process along with the kernel). You need to go to suspend2.net to download the patchset and patch the related kernel source, compile it and the fglrx kernel driver. Go there for more info about the suspend2 installing. If you want to use rc11 you will need kernel 2.6.14. Former versions of Suspend2 are not using well the new fglrx driver 8.19.10, so it is advisable to use suspend2 2.2-rc11. Older versions are said to be working with older versions of ati driver but it's likely you will need a working vbetool to use them.
The recent versions were tested by a bunch of users and reported to be fully usable. rage3d forum thread. It hibernates and resumes fglrx very well. You should have a perfectly restored X screen when you resume your machine. Hunt for bugs and flaws is still running and any discoveries should be described on this page and the bugzilla.
The new suspend2 2.2-rc13 has many new fixes (though filewriter still needs caution, but swapwriter works fine), and if you want to use it with ati-driver, please be aware that you might need to add the following line to your hibernate.conf to make it work:
ProcSetting extra_pages_allowance 5000
- Samsung P35, using Ubuntu Breezy with kernel 184.108.40.206 and suspend2-2.2-rc11,fglrx 8.19.10 -- the screen isn't "redrawn"
- Abit NF7, Radeon 9600XT, 1G RAM, gentoo linux (kernel 2.6.14-suspend2-r1 with suspend 2.2-rc11), fglrx 8.19.10 - hangs if two instances of X are resumend and switching to another X.
(Resuming a freezed proxy service (ziproxy or tinyproxy) caused kernel locking. Be careful to stop them before suspending. -- 2.2-rc11)
- Abit NF7, Radeon 9600XT, 1G RAM, gentoo linux with suspend 2.2-rc14 and rc15, fglrx 8.20.8 - Cannot resume with HW acceleration, DRI. rc13 works fine!
- Abit NF7, Radeon 9600XT, 1G RAM, gentoo linux (kernel 2.6.14-suspend2-r1 with suspend 2.2-rc13/rc11), fglrx 8.20.8
- AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+, nForce 2,
1Go RAM, Radeon 9200SE - FC4 suspend 2.2-rc11 (or latest 2.2-rc13) using FC4 kernel from http://mhensler.de/swsusp/ and livna ATI RPM!
- XV and 3D acceleration is still present after suspend! (XV is ok since fglrx-8.20.8)