Talk:Ubuntu Gutsy Installation Guide
Updated some information only applicable for Gutsy
I've updated some minor details about the fglrx-installation in Gutsy:
- By default, Gutsy (and Feisty too) now have Universe and Multiverse enabled
- The fglrx-version in Gutsy's linux-restricted-modules is 8.37.6 and not 8.28.8
Jealma 04:35, 19 October 2007 (CDT)
- fglrxinfo gives: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file.
- Fixed with command:
sudo ln /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
I followed this guide and fglrxinfo yielded the desired output.
But then I still got the following problems:
- crash/restart of X when trying to run glxgears
- crash/restart of X when trying to watch mythtv recording
- visual artefacts from window creation
The cause I assumed in that:
glxinfo | grep direct
did not yield 'yes' but 'no' and 'Mesa Indirect'
Long search, quick solution:
apt-get remove xserver-xgl
Note: I don't really know what this actually does in the context of a desired installation, so try at your own risk. I assume this being installed from my earlier Feisty installation where I tried out compiz and AIGLX was not supported by the driver.
After removing the xserver-xgl package, all problems described above vanished.
Maybe someone with more detailed knowledge might find it useful to add a paragraph to the page.