Fedora 8 Installation Guide
- Supported since Catalyst 7.11, which adds support for kernel 2.6.23.
Installation Option #1 Freshrpms.net repository
rpm -ihv http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/8/freshrpms-release/freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm yum install -y ati-x11-drv
and restart your system.
Installation Option #2 Livna repository
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
- These instructions on the Unoffical Fedora FAQ work. (In order not to duplicate the the instructions, we provide the link rather than the instructions themselves).
Installation Option #3 via ATI Installer
You can get the latest ATI-Driver here:
The above bugzilla contains a patch to the firegl module source code. Here is an annotated walk-through for those not familiar with using the patch utility:
- Install the driver interactively
- Backup the existing module, download the patch
cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/ cp firegl_public.c firegl_public.c.orig wget -qO- http://ati.cchtml.com/attachment.cgi?id=466 > firegl.patch
- Apply the patch
patch -p0 < firegl.patch
- Now build and install the kernel module
./make.sh cd .. ; ./make_install.sh
- Create an initial X Server configuration file
- Restart your X Server (by logging out/in or rebooting)
- AMD/ATI Catalist Control Center (amdcccle) fails to start, see this bugzilla entry.
FYI: this patch (and others like it) is incomplete. It fails miserably with the drm module loaded. It will not work without drm either, and what would be the point? As seen by dmesg:
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810 [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1898 MBytes. [fglrx] ASYNCIO init succeed! [fglrx:KCL_enable_pat] *ERROR* Pat entry 2 is already configured [fglrx] PAT is disabled! [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_stub_register failed
The livna rpm incurs the same failure. Stick with F7 and kernel 2.6.22, or use the radeon driver instead.
Updated by yangyud:
You need to remove the loaded "drm" module from kernel before install the fglrx module.
rmmod radeon; rmmod drm
Ok, the problem is gdm. I can `startx`, but gdm fails to load with fglrx, and there is no indication in any log as to why. This continues with new 7.11 Catalyst driver. Because of this, the problem is NOT with the driver, rather it is the default GDM time value of 10-seconds. To remedy:
vi /etc/gdm/custom.conf [daemon] GdmXserverTimeout=60
This allows enough time for X to startup before gdm considers it dead and aborts the X startup process.